Friday, April 20, 2012

DIY- Thrift Store Crystal Box Transformation

A few months ago I found this beauty at a local thrift store. My first intent was to transform it from ugly green to a lovely milk glass white by painting it. So there it sat in my office for months...waiting for warmer weather (spray painting of course). I stumbled across it the other day when the weather was in the 80's...so out of the dungeon it came.

I first decided that it needed a little wash to remove all the dust it had collected. As I was drying it off I saw that the "paint" was coming off. I had no idea that it was painted! So instead of painting it, I grabbed some nailpolish remover and went to town.

Here's how I did it.

This is actually what is called a Wedding Box. Back in the day, a bride would bring a piece of her wedding cake home in this little box.
The lid actually serves as a base for this little box.
Supplies:
Crystal Box
Nail Polish Remover
Cotton Squares
As you can see the paint is coming off.
Apply some nail polish remover to the cotton square and scrub, scrub, scrub!
After removing the paint this is what you end up with!
This is perfect for storing jewelry or other precious items.
This is a super simple project and you can find these at almost any thrift store, estate sale, or yard sale. So next time you see one, take a closer look at it....you may have found yourself a little gem in the rough. Let me know if you try this project!

♥ Jen

Linking up over at Thrifty Decor Chick

1 comment:

Rustown Mom said...

I had no idea that's what that was - I thought maybe a candy dish! Very nice (: